Wednesday 6 May 2015

Life scare... where am I going?

As a young and rather carefree twenty year old nearing the end of her second year of university many ask, have I given thought to my future? And the answer is always is of course I have! (followed by a list of a series of jobs I would like to do, which I continually add to the more people ask me this question), although I always think to my self, the future scares me! Only the other day  a group of friends and I discussed silly things like, who out of all our friends is most likely to have children first, become famous, get a tattoo, become a millionaire... then we got on the dreaded subjects of weddings. You must not deny it, and gentlemen if your reading this, yes it goes through our heads... the image of the perfect wedding. Obviously this image is imagined with money as no object as it often involves brass bands, beautiful country estates and the 'perfect' dress which funnily enough doesn't have a price tag. I agree as many people do that your wedding day is the best and most memorable day of your life, however its those little moments with others that you should treasure. I think everyone forgets this and before you know it, life has gone from under your feet and your nearing the end. As much as talking about weddings and other things excite me, knowing I have some wonderful times to look forward to, we should  cherish the unknown and the time we sit talking about these events.

I'm sure this 'wow, I'm no where near achieving my goals yet' feeling or anxiety is fairly normal with many young people, but all you can do is take steps in the right direction.

Lets think about it this way; one of the most beautiful things about life is you don't know where your going, if you did, wouldn't it be dull?

Below is the John Lewis advert from 2010. Although you may think this is fairly random, don't worry its very relevant. Its shows exactly how people perceive life to be, following through from one life stage to the next. The reality is, life stages don't exist. Many people (well girls) say, 'by the time I'm 28 I want to married with my first child on the way', however if you knew that, wouldn't you just be anticipating the event? Think about life as a train. You get on at one platform (your birth) and then its a continuous ride until you get off at your final destination. It may slow down at points, but it picks up again. It may break down, but don't worry, it gets repaired. This advert is the perfect summary of what everyone wants life to be, and what life essentially should be. Also the soundtrack, 'Always a Woman', originally sung by Billy Joel is a beautiful song.



Think about what now means for you. For me now, life is about music, plenty of it, listening to anything and everything at every opportunity. I love finding new bands or songs by upcoming artists. Its about going out, with friends, if its to the local pub, for a coffee or out on the town. I love spending time with friends, each one of them inspires to do something differently or enlightens me on a alternative perspective of the world. Its about watching films. I love finding films on Netflix which date back to the eighties and nineties, or watching new releases at the cinema. Its about fashion. I love reading about upcoming trends, what celebs have been wearing on the red carpet, and new techniques on how to look after yourself with home remedies or how to get fit quick, I love trying out these techniques basically to see if they are any good. Life is about enjoying the moment. 

John Lennon famously said 'Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans' which I believe perfectly summerises how life really happens.

2 comments:

  1. I have no idea where I am going in life either - I am graduating in July and I've been applying for any job just because I have no idea where I want my life to go. It's kind of scary but I really like not knowing as well. I also love that advert, I think it's so relevant!

    The Velvet Black // UK Style & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think applying for plenty of jobs is great. Like you say its nice not knowing where life is taking you! :),

    Emma x

    ReplyDelete