Wednesday 27 May 2015

Top five albums to have on loop this summer

So summer is approaching which means plenty of time chilling in the garden, on the beach or on holiday somewhere plugged in listening to your favourite tunes. Are you wondering what to add to your playlist next? Look no further, as these albums by this collection of incredible artists are definitely worth a listen over the summer break.

1. Sam Smith- In The Lonely Hour 



I'm sure you've heard his name everywhere! In the charts and on the TV, Sam Smith has dominated the music industry for the last 6 months and has been labelled the male version of Adele for his big voice and his rapid rise to fame. He has had several best-selling singles from this album including Stay With Me, I'm Not The Only One and Like I Can. Sam has also won 4 Grammys, 2 Brit Awards and more recently 3 Billboard Music Awards. I don't think there is one song on this album that I'm not so keen on, they are all brilliant. 

2. James Bay- Choas and Calm 


A newcomer to the music industry, James Bay stormed up the charts with the single Hold Back the River, which when it was first released, I was obsessed with. His album shot up to the number one best seller in the UK and reached fifteen in the US charts, a remarkable achievement for a guy of 24. I love this album, I think James is a true genius, his songs are both emotive and individually fantastic. This album has great originality and his acoustic sound is perfect to listen to throughout the summer with a cider in hand. My favourite tunes include; Scars, If You Ever Want To Be In Love and When We Were On Fire. He is definitely next on my list to see live. 

3. George Ezra- Wanted On Voyage 



I first heard this album last year, it became our holiday soundtrack when I was down in Salcombe, Devon with family and friends. It is truly great. Ezra has such a unique voice he's almost addictive to listen to. His voice, I believe, is a great one for summer as its so chilled and helps you relax. George, only 21, was nominated for 4 Brit Awards and his album reached number 3 in the UK charts. His most popular songs are Budapest, Blame it On Me and Cassy O', however my favourite is Barcelona.

4. Taylor Swift- 1989


Now I know I have already discussed Taylor in my previous post, nominating her as my inspirational icon of the month, but I have to reiterate how brilliant her album. The title derives from the year of her birth and Taylor has claimed that many of the songs have been inspired by hits of the late eighties such as Madonna's Like a Prayer. This album is a lot more 'poppy' than her previous albums such as Red and establishes Swift's transgression as a country singer to a pop icon. My favourite tracks from the album include Blank Space, Wildest Dreams and How To Get The Girl. Following Swift's success with this release, definitely check this one out.

5. Years and Years- Y & Y EP 



I have quickly become a big fan of Years and Years, even before they hit the charts. Since the release of their single King, which reached number 1 on the UK charts the band have had a sequence of success with hits such as Desire and Take Shelter. Their new release Shine is also worth checking out.
You may recognise the lead, Olly Alexander, from films such as Great Expectations in which he played Herbet Pocket alongside Jeremy Irvine who played Pip. He has also starred in the Riot Club, Skins and more recently has appeared in the TV series Penny Dreadful. I think this band are yet to achieve big things; they have mountains of success coming their way. Their unique sound brings something new to the music industry and all their songs are very catchy with great backing tracks.

No comments:

Post a Comment